Public Thank Yous and Wedding Summary



First, THANK YOU.  Thank you to everyone who came to our wedding.  Thank you to everyone who was there in spirit and will celebrate with us at our big reception next June when we renew our vows.  Thank you for understanding our reasons for moving up the ceremony.   Thank you for dropping everything and coming to Wisconsin with only 3 weeks’ notice.  I cannot express how much it meant to us for you all to fly in from around the US to spend a whole weekend celebrating our love.   I will admit I put a lot of work in these past three weeks, but I never imagined how spectacular everything would be.   It was beyond wonderful and beyond everything I hoped for.   I can’t stop smiling and laughing and dancing around when I think about this weekend.   

Because of all the love Dan and I have received, I want to publicly acknowledge everyone and give those of you who couldn’t be there in person a little recap.  Thank you for coming to the blog I barely ever use anymore to read this.   These are my personal thoughts and feelings the day after our wedding weekend. 

FAMILY
Mom & Dad Weffenstette
How do I put into words how I feel about my parents?   Thank you for everything you’ve ever given me.  Thank you for raising me the way you did.  I am who I am because of you.  I am this healthy because of you.  I was able to get MARRIED because of you.  As a little kid I loved playing wedding, but as I got older I figured I might not live long enough to get married.  Your love and support has kept me alive and fighting. 

Mom:  When I have been too sick to fight for myself, you have fought for me.  You’ve saved my life many times.  You’ve always been there for me when I was lonely or sad.  You let me call you three, four, five times a day when I needed to.  I owe you so much.   I love you so much.  You’re the first person I made eye contact with when the ceremony ended and the look in your eyes filled my heart with so much love.  Thank you for being an amazing mom.  I love you. 

Dad:  Just like Mom, you’ve always been there for me.  I don’t know where I would be if you and Mom didn’t have the medical knowledge that you do.  I rely on you as a major part of taking care of myself.  Even though I’m married now, I will always be “Daddy’s Little Girl.”  The speech you gave at the dinner was one of the most touching things I’ve ever heard.  The musical tribute was amazing – I get choked up thinking about it.  Dancing with you to “Father and Daughter” is one of the best parts of the weekend.   You singing to me while we danced is one of the best moments of my life. 

I already posted this as the description of a photo of us dancing, but it’s so relevant and exactly how I feel: “As long as one and one is two, there could never be a daughter who loves her father more than I love you.”

Darin: My Little Dar-Dar.  My rock.  The guy who has been a best friend since he was born. The guy who knew how to help me through my panic attacks when they were really bad.  The guy who gave me every reason to keep looking for my special someone when I was most discouraged.  One YouTube link gave me back all the confidence I needed.  Born this way, Baby!  Thanks for being at the bachelorette party – you fit in so well!  Sa-sa-sa-swiper no swiping! 

Thank you for coming to our wedding from Colorado even though you had plans for the same weekend.  I hate living far away from you, but I’m so glad you’re happy where you are.  Thank you for being the coolest, most supportive brother I could ever have.  I’m so glad you came a day early and we got a chance to hang out.  I didn’t get a chance to ask you if you mind that I got married.  It’s not legal for you to get married in most states and a part of me wanted to not get married to stand up for you.  I hope someday you are as happy as I am with your special someone and I get to attend your wedding.  I love you!

Mom & Dad Demp
Officially my In-Laws!  I didn’t gain a second set of parents Saturday – I gained a second set of parents Labor Day weekend 2011.  Since the first time I met you both, you have welcomed me into your family.   I genuinely appreciate that and know how special it is.  I want to thank you for the way you have treated me.  I was Dan’s first girlfriend and still you welcomed me into the family as soon (or even before) you met me.  I don’t know when you learned about my health and whether Dan told you or if I did, but I know you never treated me differently because of it.  I’ve known people who questioned whether their son or daughter should date or marry someone who is sick – and you’ve never done that.   It means a lot to me. 

Wendy: Thank you for your never-ending, unconditional love for Dan and me.  You have a wonderful son – thanks for sharing.  I really feel like a daughter to you and that is special.  I’m excited for to be a part of your life with Barry and have both of you as part of my life with Dan.

Barry:  I really respect you and look up to you.  The career you have built from the ground up is awesome and inspiring.  Thank you for your wisdom, kindness and love.  I also really enjoy your silly side.  It comes out at random times and always makes me smile.  Dan is like you in a lot of ways – especially his willingness to share his emotions and affection.  I see how much you love Wendy and how you still show her how much you love her and I am encouraged.  I can’t wait to soak up all the love I can from Dan!

Rachel:  My new sister!!!  Thanks for coming from Philly.  I know we cut into your work at a critical time.  Also, the photos you took are priceless. Thanks for being an awesome shutterbug!  We had a conversation in the car about how many of the people you are close to have major health issues (Jen, Lesley, me, etc).  I want you to know that it takes a brave and strong person to stay close to people with major health issues.  It’s easiest to distance yourself so you don’t get hurt.  I really love and respect you for the way you treat us all as people.  You inspire me to work hard and try new things.  I can’t wait to see what kind of career you’re going to have – you’re going to rock it, whatever it is.  I’m always here for you even though we live far apart!

Pop-pop:  I love you Pop-Pop!  I know you couldn’t be with us in person on Saturday, but you were with us in spirit.  I’m excited to have you at our vow renewal and reception!  You’re the only grandparent Dan and I have left.  Not only are you a grandpa to me, you’re one of my favorite people.  I know all you’ve been through in your life and you inspire me.  Dan is like you in ways he is like Barry – most importantly his willingness to show love and emotion.  The Demp men really know how to treat women right.   Thanks for passing that down.  I owe you a lot.  You and Bubby showed Dan what true love is like and inspired him to keep looking for someone to share his life with.   Along with my grandparents, you showed me what I want my marriage to be in 60 or 70 years.  I have some amazing role models – you included. 

WEDDING PARTY

Maid of Honor
Sarah: I love you my little Elfküm!  Thank you for sharing my special day with me.  I hope it was wonderful for you – your wedding is right up there among the best days of my life.  You did so much to help me – getting the flowers, making cake pops, getting a sheet cake, giving an amazing speech at dinner.  Thank you for those things, but mostly thank you for standing next to me as I married Dan.  I could never have gotten married without you.  You’re so special to me – I already gave a whole speech at your wedding to tell you how much I love you, so I’ll try to keep this brief.  The way you’ve helped me with my health over the years is indescribable.   We’ve been to Europe together twice.  We’ve had countless sleepovers and play dates and school lunches.  We have millions of inside jokes and understand each other in ways others can’t.  Thank you for being my best friend since kindergarten and my sister. 

Bridesmaids
Kyra: My sweet Kyra.  I love you to bits and pieces.  Ever since I met you you’ve been an amazing support system.  You made me part of your family when I was grasping for a place where I belonged.  Thank you for sharing your life with me.  I loved being at your wedding and seeing how much you and Chris love each other.  It gave me hope.  I love seeing how much you still love each other.  Thank you for sharing your son with me.  I look up to you as a role model for the kind of mother I want to be some day.  I love you like a sister. (Oh, and never give up on telling us silly puns – I secretly love them all). 

LP: I’ve now been working on this thank you thing for more than 2 hours and it makes me wonder how you write every day.  How do you not just sit around playing video games?  What I’m trying to say is you amaze me.  Your writing skills and self-discipline are awesome.  I can’t wait to read your next book.  But seriously, you are an awesome human being.  I love you so much.   I love our LANs and our wonderfully long conversations.  Laughing with you and Sarah on the futon at the bachelorette party is a memory I’ll always cherish.    Thank you for being an amazing best friend and sister.  

Jen:  I felt a strong connection to you even before we met in person.  We’ve bonded over medical drama, but besides that I look up to you and love you.  I look up to you as a mother, friend, sister, and human being.  You have a way of making everything a positive experience and that is so encouraging.  You’re one of the strongest women I know and I’m honored to call you my friend/cousin/sister.  Keep smiling! (You taught me that!)  Also, thank you for the journal.  I can’t express how excited I am to keep a journal of my life with Dan.  It’s going to be a great thing to look back on and give to our children someday.   No matter what, I’m always here for you and love you. 

Best Man
Bill:  So Bill, I guess I don’t have to hunt you down and hurt you.  Dan wasn’t too hung over on our wedding day.   In all seriousness, thank you.   Thank you for volunteering to drive all around town to do last-minute things, to pick up people at the airport, to drive Dan and me around, and to make sure all our crap got back to our house after the reception.  Are you available on June 14, 2014?  Because I’m sure I’ll think of more things for you to do.   I’ve liked you since we first met.  You’re cool, you’re nerdy, you’re fun.  But most of all you’re a great friend to Dan.   So I liked you, but I had no idea what your opinion of me was.  Thank you for your speech at dinner.  You said really kind things about me and I’m really glad you like me.  I’m excited to hang out with you more.  (And I hear Ethan is available as a wingman if you’re looking for one). 

Groomsmen
Dag:  I never imagined you would come to our wedding with three weeks’ notice.   I was shocked when Dan told me you were coming.  It showed me how much you care about Dan.  I know he thinks of you like a brother.  I loved getting to know you a little better and can’t wait to hang out with you in the future!  You and Rachel are some of the sweetest people I’ve ever met. 

Chris S.:  My big brother.  Like I told Kyra, thank you for sharing your life and your son with me.  You and Kyra showed me what I wanted in a life partner.  You helped pick me up and put me back together when I was so discouraged with dating.  Your friendship means so much to me.  There was a time when I was so lonely I didn’t know what to do, but you included me in your family and gave me reasons to get out of bed in the morning.  It’s so cliché, but it’s true.  Also, thank you for the roses.  I love them.  Hopefully there will be a cure before you get to 65. 

Nick:  Watching you interact with Luca and Ethan was one of the highlights of the weekend.  You’re fabulous with them.  I can’t wait until you are a dad.  You’re also a fabulous friend.   You gave me hope that I could find a nice, nerdy guy who worked at Epic.   And I did.  Thanks for all the Doritos when I was sad and lonely (and the wine).  You are part of my amazing support system.  Thanks for all the giant hugs. 

Ring Bearers
Luca:  Luca-Bug.  I love you so much.  I’ve loved you since before you were born.  Thank you for being part of my wedding.  Thank you for handing me Dan’s ring during the ceremony.  That perfectly timed yawn was also adorable.  I loved watching you play with Ethan.  You were really well behaved and even smiled for a few photos.   I am excited to watch you continue to grow and to be part of your life.   Remember, I’m a cool Auntie.  I’m always here for you.

Ethan:  You are cute as a button and I love you.  Thank you for handing Dan my ring during the ceremony.  You did a great job!  You were also well behaved this weekend.  I loved watching you play with Luca.  Everyone was really impressed with how smart you are.  I’m excited to be part of your life as an Auntie.  I love you!

GUESTS
Rachel C.: Thank you for coming!!!  Thank you for attending the bachelorette party and for the wonderful gifts; it was like you were inside my head.  I’m going to be honest and tell you I was a little nervous about hanging out with you.  We’re very different and I was afraid of offending you.  But I had a wonderful time getting to know you!  I had so much fun and can’t wait to hang out with you and Dag more.   Both you and Dag are so genuinely nice.  Also, you’re such a firecracker!  Who knew Dora could spit out those wonderful zingers! 

Kevin L.:  Thanks for coming!  I know you being here this weekend was helpful for Jen.  I enjoyed finally meeting you!  I hope you had a good time and I look forward to getting to know you better.  I approve of anyone who keeps Jen smiling J. 

Chris B.: Thank you for coming!  I know it must have been awkward meeting all these people, but you handled it very well.   I love hanging out with you; you and Sarah should come down more often.  We have two guest rooms!   Dan and I will try and make it to Milwaukee more often as well.   And as a side note:  You should finish your masters and then come work at Epic.  And move in next door. 

Meagan D.: Thank you so much for videotaping our ceremony.  We know that Dan’s grandfather will be able to see it even though he was in the hospital the day of our ceremony.   To be able to have him watch it is priceless.   So is having it on tape.   Thank you!           
 
Brent D.:  Thank you so much for doing the sound at our ceremony.  You’ve always been a great friend to me, and it’s a giant bonus that you know how to hook up and have access to sound equipment.  We really needed the lapel mics and the big speakers.   You faded the music out perfectly and just a GIANT thank you.   We couldn’t have had the music the way I wanted it without you!  Can’t wait for you to do our vow renewal and our DJ our big reception!  Hope to see you dancing around soon! 

Comments

Rachel C said…
Thanks for the comments, Carla! We greatly enjoyed our weekend in Madison, celebrating with you and Dan, and your family & friends! We're so glad that we came and we look forward to celebrating with you again! :)
So happy for you! I often check on you to see if you are well-would love a pic!

Popular posts from this blog

CF Contact

Abuse

Social Media Break