How to be Helpful

I'm sick. Most of the time I don't look sick, but I am. And often, I need help. I have goals and dreams and ideas and I don't have the energy to accomplish 1/3 of the things I want to do in a day.

I'm overwhelmingly thankful about my lungs. My lungs are doing pretty good. More than pretty good - great! It's been 7 months since I got sick enough to need IV antibiotics. I can't stress enough how big a miracle this is - I was doing IVs every 2.5 to 3 months.

But now that my lungs are okay I'm frustrated because I still don't have the energy to get everything done. I have MORE energy, but I still need so much sleep and rest. And I think and feel that many people are confused as to why I'm still a mess if my lungs are okay.

Some of it is my sinuses, but I'm working on getting them cleaned out so I don't have to have surgery this year, *cross your fingers.* Most of it, is my fibromyalgia. For whatever reason, it's kicking my butt. So I sleep and lay around for a couple days after I do anything big - like attend a dance. This has ruined my love of Salsa Rueda because I haven't been able to attend the last few weeks - and it frustrates me.

So now that I've explained why things are still hard (oh, and remember, my lungs are good FOR ME. They aren't normal lungs.), I'm going to make a list of ways people can help. I know many of my friends want to help, but don't know what to do. So here you go!

My selfish list of things I want you to do to help me feel better when I feel awful:

*Tell me you're coming over to help. Don't ask if I need help because I'll say no. Just assume I do, and come over. If my place happens to sparkle and be organized, we'll watch a movie.

*Help with house stuff (dishes, laundry, trash, vacuuming, etc.)

*Watch a movie with me (and don't mind when I fall asleep)

*Give me a hug

*Cuddles!

*Run an errand for me

*Pick up my meds from the pharmacy

*Go to the grocery store (of course I'll give you the cash)

*Help me sort or organize something

*Call me - I probably won't pick up if I'm sleeping, but a voicemail from you will cheer me up

*Text me!!! I love the silly ones :-)

*Offer to give me a ride to the event/gathering that is planned, so I can attend. Sometimes driving takes so much energy.

*Make me a sammich! Or a Hot Dog! If I'm really sick/exhausted I sometimes choose to sleep rather than eat. Good for my waistline, not so good for my blood sugar.

*Anything you can think of - I appreciate everything and anything my friends/family are able to do for me. I know I can be a pain in the butt (my brother often reminds me of this fact), so if you love me enough to help me, I promise I'll help you when you need it!

They say it takes a village to raise a child - but what about a disabled adult? I think it takes a loving family and an abundance of amazing friends to keep a sick big kid going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CF Contact

Abuse

Social Media Break